Tuesday, June 30, 2009

JulNoWriMo starts at 12.01 tonight! I'm somewhat excited. I feel it's exactly the motivation I need to get me to my end goal. I have 38k done, and I need to do 50k for the WriMo, so that will bring me just about to my 90k goal. I've given myself 8 more weeks to complete the first draft and if I manage it in the 4 weeks of WriMo, I'll be chuffed. Of course, 90k is only an estimation and right now it's looking like it's going to be way longer (with a lot of cutting and slicing going on in the re-writes), but shh. Let's pretend I don't know that.

Excerpt (first draft, terribly-written, etc):

He caught her hand between both of his and held it close to his chest. "Let's go out," he said, thumb rubbing against hers. "This project's all about the Embarian Crystals, right? You haven't even seen them."

He didn't give her chance to protest. He jumped up and pulled on her arm. Before she knew it she was back in the couch in the chilly air, off on a spontaneous field trip.

They left Merinum behind and headed out into the wide expanse of empty fields. The couch jolted and bumped over the uneven terrain; they bounced up and down in their seats, all attempts at conversation rendered impossible. Dillon did not touch her again – he barely even looked at her. Eden was too busy clinging on for dear life to worry too much about it.

Eventually something grew in the distance, something other than bare fields. It began as a bright green speck, like a gemstone in an expensive ring, that expanded and grew the closer they got to it. They pulled up to a set of five giant green crystals. They each sat wider than a bus and three times as tall, set in a perfect circle and surrounded by a transparent shield that glimmered with a thousand faint colours. The crystals themselves gave off a glow that was almost blinding, so stunning and massive Eden was awed, beyond words. It was without doubt the most incredible sight she had ever seen and for a while she sat and did nothing but stare, with Dillon content to let her do so.

The crystals hummed, a gentle sound that rose and fell, as if singing their own special tune. The ground surrounding the crystals seemed to breathe, rippling like waves or the curving body of an elegant feline.

"They're beautiful," Eden murmured, unable to tear her eyes away. "I've never seen anything like it."

Dillon didn't respond, but he took her hand, held it gently on the seat between them. His palm was warm against hers and after a moment he linked their fingers together. Eden gave a soft squeeze to let him know it was okay and together they sat in silence and stared at the spectacle of astounding natural magic before them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I'm Lia (from Absolute Write). I just wanted to drop a quick note... You write fantasy? Wicked [:

    ReplyDelete